"The very best youth in the world!"
COGS is more than a youth group! See what we're all about at The Church of the Good Shepherd.
COGS is under the covering of New Covenant Ministries International.

"An Indian Boy trying to make good in a black and white world"

| | Wednesday, December 9, 2009
|

Recently Ashneel and I were driving around Effingham and he was regaling me with story upon story of how the Lord had miraculously saved him out of his former lifestyle (Leader of the Effingham Heights Gang, Kagita and CatchHimDog) and had brought him into COGS youth. I asked him a few probing questions and I feel the depth of his answers might inspire alot of you out there. Here's a tiny look into the life and times of an Indian boy trying to make a difference in a black and white world...

Gabe: So Ashneel, tell us a little bit of what life was like growing up in the wild neighbourhood of Effingham?

Ashneel: It was rough, quite rough. Everytime you went for a walk you'd have to look back just to make sure no one was following you. Your money was safer in your shoes than in your pockets. Yes, it was rough but it made me a man. I had grown chest hair by the age of 5, just so that I would have respect on the playground and gulleys. Where witou lighties are drinking milk, I was drinking "spook and diesel". Nothing glamorous about the EHG lifestyle.

Gabe: Wow, and you seem so innocent now. Tell us a little more about the EHG (the Effingham Heights Gang)...

Ashneel: I joined the squad in the summer of 1997, I had just turned 10 and the wise Kagita took me under his wing and taught me the ways of the CatchHimDog. We used to walk maround and blow up peoples post boxes during diwali, take stones and right vulgar words on the road. When we walked down the streets heads used to turn and h'asses used to burn. People wanted to be with us but they knew it would cost them too much. We were feared, hated and loved. Kagita was tough with me, but he saw something that the other gangs didn't.

Gabe: How did you rise to the top of EHG?

Ashneel: In the early hours of one fateful Monday morning, we were involved in a terrific battle with the VSR (Verulam Sewer Rats) and Kagita was leading the charge up Sanjay Hill...we were making great headway as we slowly took control of the Hill. All of a sudden as light started to appear in the distance, a great cry went out as Kagita was slain by a stray fishing line. As he lay on the ground so close to death, I knelt on the ground next to him, my tears spilling upon the soil. He took hold of my hand, and whispered, "Watkind laanie? Chune Lugs farwell for me". Then he breathed his last. I took his words to mean I was in charge, and from that day forth I was no longer just Ashneel, I became Bra George, head of the EHG.


Next blog, the conversation continues as we find out how the Indian became a Chrindian (a christian indian)

blog comments powered by Disqus

Featured Videos

 

Followers